LOL! Funny story about this Macaroni Salad recipe, it’s name, and how I came to have it. Now if you ask my brother Joel, he will deny ever giving me a Macaroni Salad Recipe. In a way, that makes sense because this recipe for Macaroni Salad has onions in it. Anyone who knows Joel also knows that he won’t eat anything an onion has even been in the vicinity of! You can not “take the onion off” so to speak, and expect him to eat it. He so vehemently dislikes onions!
Who Doesn’t Know How To Make Macaroni Salad?
My husband and I had moved to Texas. We had not been there very long and we decided we wanted to make some Macaroni Salad. You would think I already knew how to make Macaroni salad but as the only girl in a houseful of men who like to cook and like to cook things exactly the way they like them, I had never made Macaroni Salad or Potato Salad or Deviled Eggs. My husband even takes charge of the Deviled Eggs to this day (is it a guy thing?). I was in charge of the BBQ Baked Beans, which my Uncle Dan would call ahead to make sure that I was making whenever we all got together for family cookouts at Valley Of Fire or wherever in the desert we were going that particular holiday.
That’s My Story And I’m Sticking To It!
This is the Gods honest account of how I came to have this incredibly delicious Macaroni Salad Recipe. So, like I said, we wanted to make Macaroni Salad. I can not remember why we did not just go online to get a recipe. It was a long time ago so maybe there were just not that many resources for recipe’s like there are now. We decided to call my brother to get a recipe. He gave us THIS recipe. He denies ever giving us a Macaroni Salad Recipe. Just to be sure I had not lost my mind, I asked my husband if he remembers where we got the recipe, which till last year was scribbled on the back of an old bill envelope without a name. He also insists Joel gave us this recipe. Joel insists he did not to this day but that is why I call it “Joel’s Magnificent Macaroni Salad”. It is the BEST Macaroni Salad My husband and I have ever had. I am sure it may very well be the best Macaroni Salad that YOU have ever had!
Try It ! You’ll Love It !
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- ⅔ cup each- Celery, Tomato, Curly Leaf Parsley, Red Onion and Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup mayo
- ¾ tsp Dried mustard
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1½ Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- ½ tsp salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- bring 8 cups salted water to a boil. add macaroni and cook al denté. drain, cool with cold water , set aside.
- in a large bowl combine mayo, vinegar, mustard, sour cream, salt and sugar, stir to blend. add cooked cooled macaroni to bowl and fold in.
- dice the onion finely and soak 5 minutes in cold water. after 5 minutes, drain and allow water to drip off.
- dice finely the cheddar cheese, celery and tomato. add to bowl with macaroni and dressing.
- chop finely the Parsley and add to bowl.
- add the drained onions.
- salt and pepper to taste
- place covered bowl in fridge for a couple hours and serve well chilled.
- note; don't be afraid to salt this but the flavor truly comes out only after at least an hour or two of chilling.
If you love cold Summer Salads try my Apple Slaw Salad Recipe ! It’s Healthy too!